Water detecting & Excal II observations

• thedayawaits
  • thedayawaits's Avatar Topic Author
  • "BEEP!"
More
8 years 10 months ago #1 by thedayawaits
Water detecting & Excal II observations was created by thedayawaits
Just got an Excal II and tried it out for the first time this weekend. A couple observations based upon my other machines:

(1) There's not much sense in trying to memorize different tones with this machine, other than "low = good" and "regular/consistent = good". Totally different beast than say Etrac or Safari tones.

(2) SO MUCH DRAG when trying to use this in knee-waist deep water! Almost impossible to make quick hunting with this unit!

I've heard that searching in all-metal is the way to go with this machine because you can detect much deeper and wider areas by listening for changes in the threshold. Anyone else know anything about this?

1D: Minelab ETrac 2D: Minelab Excal II
Pistol Probe & Garret Pro-Pointer; Leche Digger

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Digger
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Gotta Love this thing!
More
8 years 9 months ago #2 by Digger
Replied by Digger on topic Re: Water detecting & Excal II observations
Swinging in the warter is TOUGH! Have to push it around slowly or you'll wear yourself out quick. Recovering targets in wave action can be a P.I.A. as well, but it's ALL worth it!

Watch out for sunburn! UV's reflecting off the water will cook you under your hat as well!

Awaiting some pics!

More
8 years 5 months ago #3 by jsolo
I got a excal 2 about 2 moths ago I have found 3 good rings and a few crap ones I love the machine.I also hunt in all metal then check the signal by switching over to disc.My only problem is I live in Atlanta and there is no beach.I am wishing I was at a beach right now.If anyone wants to hit a beach let me know Im always wanting to travel.I have a facebook group its called old things if anybody wants to checkout the group and join many great finds on the site.

More
8 years 4 months ago #4 by sharkbait
Replied by sharkbait on topic Re: Water detecting & Excal II observations
It really is an awesome machine. When we were in Daytona at the beginning of Sept. I found 4 gold rings with it and several others.
It is heavy though. I bought one of the harnesses and that seems to lessen the fatique factor.

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #5 by hipshote28
Replied by hipshote28 on topic Re: Water detecting & Excal II observations
I use an excal 2 really got to know it well i start shallow then work my way out to neck deep just remember just butt your scoop to back of coil your gonna get it .Yes it can be hard to recover in deep but it gets easier each time .I use mine in disk mode pinpoint mode is way to noisy

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #6 by nlartist
Replied by nlartist on topic Re: Water detecting & Excal II observations

thedayawaits wrote: Just got an Excal II and tried it out for the first time this weekend. A couple observations based upon my other machines:

(1) There's not much sense in trying to memorize different tones with this machine, other than "low = good" and "regular/consistent = good". Totally different beast than say Etrac or Safari tones.

(2) SO MUCH DRAG when trying to use this in knee-waist deep water! Almost impossible to make quick hunting with this unit!

I've heard that searching in all-metal is the way to go with this machine because you can detect much deeper and wider areas by listening for changes in the threshold. Anyone else know anything about this?

Water detectors are usually heavier so it takes more effort, swinging a coil in water is not easy. You are probably better off detecting in all metal mode, your chances of finding good finds are better. Looking forward to the warm weather here to go beach and water hunting again. The Excalibur sounds like a good machine.

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds